Another day another another gift guide. Today I’m bringing you my gift guide for the Playstation gamer in your life. It’s been one heck of a year for the Sony Playstation. 1 year post Playstation VR launch has brought about a lot of great titles for that platform but also, there have been some truly spectacular exclusive titles that launched on the platform. I’m going to drop down my top picks for the Playstation.
Turtle Beach Stealth 600 or 700 Headset – Much like my post for the Xbox gamer, I really think Turtle Beach really knocked it out of the park in terms of value and features with their new Stealth series headsets. At just $199 for the 700s and $129 for the 600s, there’s no denying the bang for the buck you get out of these wireless headsets.
Scuf Spectrum Controller – If your Playstation gamer spends a lot of time playing online or even has aspirations to enter into competitions, perhaps you should look no further than the Scuf Spectrum Controller. It offers a completely new controller experience and includes four removable paddles on the back and features electro-magnetic remapping, adjustable hair triggers, quick shift trigger stops, interchangeable thumbsticks, high grade grip and control disc and a wide variety of colors to choose from. On top of all that they look positively gorgeous.
External Hard Drive – Much like all gaming systems, storage is a commodity especially in the age of digital delivery. It’s just a fact of live for now until we get a less expensive form of media. This Seagate Backup Plus Hub 4TB is a good value at just $149.99 at the time of writing this.
PS4 Slim – With the big holiday season about to hit, you may be thinking it’s time to upgrade your Playstation gamers PS3 to the latest. If this happens to be the case, you’re going to find some incredible deals on the PS4 Slim for Black Friday. For example, Toys R Us is selling the 1TB core system for $279.97 on Black Friday- a savings of $100.
PSVR – I’ve been pretty critical of VR in the past and to be totally honest, I’m still not completely onside with it but in 2017 I did manage to try out some amazing experiences with Resident Evil 7 and Star Wars Battlefront: X-Wing VR Mission. So I am softening a touch on this topic but there have also been some other wildly popular games that use the PSVR nicely from what I’ve heard so this might be a great option. Also check out Super Hot VR, Batman Arkham VR and Star Trek Bridge Crew.
Games – What would a console be without some great gaming experiences? Well… I have an answer for that but I won’t go there. 2017 was a great year for games on the Playstation. These are must haves for anyone with a PS4.
- Horizon Zero Dawn – An action RPG that has players in control of Aloy in a post apocalyptic world with giant robotic creatures and was easily one of the best gaming experiences I had in 2017. The open world was huge and there’s plenty to do in the game. Coupled with the brand new DLC the Frozen Wilds it’s probably the best option for you to get them.
- Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice – is a game I’ve yet to be able to appreciate but it’s right there at the top of my list of games. It’s inspired by Norse mythology and Celtic culture, Hellblade follows Senua, a warrior working to save the soul of her dead lover. It also features a story that touches on mental health and has some of the most impressive audio engineering in gaming.
- Uncharted: Lost Legacy – A side story to the Uncharted world and doesn’t feature Nathan Drake but it does feature fan favorites Chloe Frazer and Nadine Ross in an adventure of their own. To say that the Uncharted series is synonymous with the term “high production value”would be an understatement. It’s more gun blazing action, puzzles and Uncharted goodness.
- MLB: The Show 17 – There are baseball games and then there’s MLB: The Show. Nothing out there compares to the level of detail and awesome that drips from this series. If your gamer is a baseball fan and doesn’t have The Show, fix that problem because they’re doing it wrong.
- Nioh – Another game I’ve not yet had the pleasure of playing but have on my personal list takes place in a fictional version of ancient Japan. It’s an action adventure “Hack n Slash” putting players in control of an Irish samurai named William. It’s not one of those hand holding games from what I’ve been told but it sure looks to me like a very appealing and rewarding game experience.
Other notable games to consider from what many of my colleagues are saying but I personally don’t have any experience with but a good friend of mine Paul who works for the folks over at Best Buy has strongly recommended Nier: Automata, Persona 5 and Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix.